The stack effect allows moist air in the basement or the crawl space to spread out to the upper levels in the house. This is one of the major reasons for increased humidity levels in the house.
Moisture spread out in the house as a result of the crawl space contribute to :
- Poor indoor air quality. –odor from the basement or the crawl space is able to spread out into the upper levels of the house. This makes the home very uncomfortable.
- Increased humidity in the house – the excess moisture is able to spread into other rooms in the house.
- Structural home damage – increased humidity in the house greatly causes the destruction of interior walls, ceiling and causes paint and wallpaper to pily off the walls.
- Destruction of wood – increased moisture causes wood to warp hence makes the wooden floors uneven and the wooden doors and windows don’t close easily.
- Mold growth – the spread of moisture allows mold spore in the basement or crawl space to spread out and grow everywhere in the house. You will spot black mold growth all over the house.
- Odor – odor from the rot in the basement or crawl space spread all over the house by the stack effect.
- Pest increase – pest like high humidity places. When the stack effect is able to move all the excess moisture in the basement or crawl space to the rest of the house, the number of the pest in the house will increase proportionally.
Controlling the humidity in the basement or the crawl space is the most important task to maintain the structural condition of your home and the health of your family.
Want To Learn More?
Control the humidity levels anywhere inside your home with BaseAire products.
Whether you're located in the Atlantic coastline states, the central states, or the Pacific coastline states, humidity remains an important factor in our daily lives.
The humidity levels change throughout the year depending on different seasons changing. You will never see the increase in humidity, but you will feel it.
Most warm regions, especially along the coastline, are known to have high moisture and humidity levels.
High humidity is not only the biggest threat to the structural integrity of your home, but it can also affect your household belongings and physical health.
At BaseAire, we show our dedication to helping you control the humidity level in your home and commercial workplace by offering a variety of dehumidifiers, different in:
- Airflow capabilities
Our specifically designed dehumidifiers will:
- Decrease the humidity level to below 50%
- Eradicate mold, mildew, and dust mite infestation
- Cleanse the indoor air of any mold spores, odor, and other impurities
- Reduce allergy triggers
The effects of high humidity:
i. High humidity levels in your home will make it feel warmer and stuffier.
ii. Increased humidity will make your home the perfect environment for mold, mildew, and dust mite growth! Known as some of the most common allergy triggers, this can cause health issues.
iii. Skin allergies.
iv. Wood warping – since wood can absorb some of the excess moisture, this makes the wood warp, causing wooden floors to feel uneven as well as wooden doors and windows not closing properly.
v. Appliance failure – in your home, if the excess moisture can condense inside the appliances, this can cause fluid damage to said appliances.
vi. Wallpaper and paint will peel within a space with excess humidity.
vii. Wood rot – wet wood provides the perfect place for fungi growth which causes the wood to rot at an accelerated rate.
Repairing the appliances or replacing the rotting wood can be expensive for many homeowners, hence the importance of a BaseAire dehumidifier.
Common signs of high humidity in the house:
You can easily determine the humidity levels of your home using a hygrometer. But if you do not have access to one, here are some of the signs that show the presence of high humidity in your home:
- Constant reoccurring condensation on window planes and glass doors, especially in the morning.
- Water spots on the walls and ceiling.
- Black mold growth on the walls or ceiling.
In heavily moisturized spaces, like the basement, you will see condensed water on the walls or floor.
How does a dehumidifier work?
Dehumidifiers are electric appliances that extract excess humidity from the air.
We designed our dehumidifiers to pull the air from the house into the unit where it then passes over a series of coolant coils that condense the excess moisture. This removes odor, mold spores, and other impurities from the air. The unit then collects condensed water in a collection tray or pumped out of the unit depending on the model of BaseAire dehumidifier you buy.
The air is then warmed up and pumped out of the dehumidifier back into the room. This process repeats until the relative humidity level of the space lowers below the set level.
Why should you invest in a BaseAire dehumidifier today?
We have a wide variety of dehumidifiers designed for residential and commercial use. Our engineers have gone a step further, designing need-specific dehumidifiers for the basement, crawlspace, garage, office, and storage room. BaseAire dehumidifiers will lower the humidity levels in your home, making it impossible for harmful allergens like mold, mildew, and dust mites to grow. So, if a customer needs a humidity issue in their home fixed, our dehumidifiers will exceed their expectations. Improve your indoor air quality today! Speak to us about your humidity issues and our water damage & restoration experts will help pick the right dehumidifier for you